Saturday, April 6, 2013

An Upcycling Project For My Future Rock Hound

Not too long ago I saw a post online for a vintage thimble holder. A local mom was selling it for only $3! I thought, "Wow, this could definitely be repurposed into something great". After thinking about it for awhile, I had it. I would make a new shelf for my daughter, the future rock hound! This is what the shelf looked like when I got it: 




Each square is almost exactly 1 cubic inch. There is a plexiglass cover that slides on and off. I cleaned it up and bought some felt to line each square. 



Then came the tedious job of cutting each and every little piece of felt......


After a weekend of hard labor, the shelf was complete! 



Then it was her turn to fill it with some of her amazing finds! We were able to hang it right on her wall where she can slide the lid and add more whenever she pleases. 

Here is the finished project: 

It was a lot of work, but I was very happy to be able to make this amazing, one-of-a-kind piece for my daughter. All in all it cost less than $5 total in materials and a whole lot of love! 

Future Rock Hounds: 


2 comments:

  1. Wow! That's a great project! It looks great! I've seen a variety of polished rock displays before, but this one takes the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! It was a lot of work, but worth it. My daughter just loves it. She's filled that as well as an old curio cabinet with her collection! And, they both look great hanging on her wall. :)

    Thanks for stopping in!

    ReplyDelete